Meat Pies are a flaky pastry pie filled with the filling of your choice, typically Ghanaian meat pies are filled with corned beef and onions. They are sold in most bakery’s in Ghana. I usually find the pastry’s to be too heavy and thick so I can only eat a little bit, but if you want a nice scrumptious pastry follow this recipe and you will not be disappointed…
INGREDIENTS FOR CORNED BEEF MEAT PIES
500g Plain Flour plus more for rolling
500g Vegetable Fat Spread (for baking and cooking)/ Margarine
Pinch of Nutmeg
1 Egg for brushing
1 tin Corned Beef
1/3 Cup Red Onion, diced
1/3 Cup Fresh Tomatoes, diced
1 Maggie Cube, crushed
METHOD FOR CORNED BEEF MEAT PIES:
1. Prepare the pie filling first. Warm up a frying pan or pot and add the oil.
2. Once hot, add the diced onions and sauté until it’s soft.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and stir. Season with the crushed Maggie cube. Fry for about 1 minute.
4. Now add the corned beef and stir. Fry for another minute and remove from heat.
5. Sift the flour and pinch of nutmeg into a bowl.
6. Add the vegetable fat spread to the flour. Note, vegetable fat spread should be at room temperature.
7. Using the finger tips, incorporate the spread into the flour. When well incorporated, this will be soft and sticky dough. Fear not as this is exactly what you want.
8. On a floured surface, roll out small batches of the dough. Flour dust the rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking on to it. The floured surface and rolling pin, makes it easier to handle the pastry dough.
9. Using a round cookie cutter or a shaped cutter of your choice, cut the pastry dough into required shapes.
10. Add spoonfuls of the filling to the centre of each shape. Fold it over and use a fork or finger to crimp the edges. Use the fork to create holes on top of the pie, use any design you prefer. The holes allow steam to emanate from the filling during baking.
11. Grease a baking tray with some butter.
12. Whisk the egg and set aside to be used as an egg wash.
13. Place the pies on the baking tray and brush the surface with the egg wash.
14. Heat up the oven to 200 *C.
15. Bake the pie until it has a golden brown colour on the surface. This will take
about 20 – 30 minutes.
16. Remove the meat pies and let them cool down.
17. Serve the meat pies warm or cold with your preferred beverage.
ALSO READ: HOW TO MAKE KELEWELE
Recipe provided by Aftrad Village Kitchen
Facebook: Aftrad Village Kitchen