Adaakowa, also known as Laakowa or Maamu is a hot spicy yet sweet Ghanaian snack. Follow this recipe and you will not be disappointed…
INGREDIENTS FOR ADAAKOWA:
½ cup roasted peanuts
½ cup roasted corn flour (pure tombrown)
3 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of ginger powder
1 – 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper (to taste, reduce quantity if required)
1 teaspoon of black pepper
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of tap water or just enough to mix into a mould
Olive oil to rub palms when moulding
METHOD FOR ADAAKOWA:
1. Place the peanuts, roasted corn flour, sugar, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, cloves, black pepper and salt into a food processor or blender. The cayenne pepper is fiery hot so if you don’t want a fiery hot Adaakowa, start with ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
2. Blend all the ingredients together until smooth and well mixed. Taste the mixture to see if you have enough heat from the cayenne pepper.
3. Place the powdered mixture in a bowl and add 4 tablespoons of water to start with. Using your fingers, bring the powdered mixture into a mould. Add a bit of water as required, using a teaspoon of water at a time. Use enough water just to make a mould
4. Now take a portion of the Adaakowa and using your palms to roll it into a ball. To make rolling easier, just lightly rub a bit of olive oil in your palms before rolling. Roll all the mixture into balls.
5. And there you have it! Your Adaakowa is ready to be eaten as a snack or sweet after meals.
ALSO READ: HOW TO MAKE GHANAIAN GINGER DRINK
Recipe provided by Aftrad Village Kitchen
Facebook: Aftrad Village Kitchen